This delicious recipe is adapted from Erica White’s Beat Candida Cookbook. Swapping the butter for coconut oil means this lemon curd can be enjoyed by those on a dairy-free diet. The coconut oil provides healthy fats, to help keep you feeling full, while the egg content provides valuable protein. If you need to keep oxalates low, leave out the grated lemon rind, and just rely on the lemon juice for a tangy taste.
Sugar-Free Lemon Curd
- 25g of coconut oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Finely grated rind of one organic lemon – well scrubbed
- 1 egg – organic or free-range
- Melt the coconut oil in a basin that is placed over a pan of boiling water
- Remove the basin from the heat and add the lemon rind and juice, stirring well.
- Add the egg and beat into mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Return the bowl back onto the saucepan and continue to beat egg mixture
- Continue to stir over the heat, until the mixture thickens – about 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Store in a clean jar in the fridge for up to 5 days
- Great to use as a topping for lemon buns.