Grain-Free and Sugar-Free Lemon Bun Recipe
Here is a recipe for lemon buns that contain no grain and no sugar! It is quick and simple to make for a day-to-day snack. Adding a creamy, sugar-free, lemon curd topping however, makes these buns more special, providing a wonderful Christmas cake alternative. You do need to have access to a grinder, as the flour is replaced with finely ground sunflower seeds.
You can jazz up the basic lemon bun recipe a number of ways:
- Add some freshly cracked and chopped walnuts to both the cake mixture and also to decorate the top.
- Add the spices you enjoy – ginger, cinnamon, mixed cake spice, nutmeg…
- Top with desiccated coconut
- Add a few drops of pure almond or lemon essence (check there is no sugar or alcohol on the ingredients list)
Although there is no ‘flour’ in this recipe, it is light and soft, and pretty fool-proof!
Ingredients (makes 10 buns)
- 100g finely ground sunflower seeds
- 4 eggs
- 30g of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Finely grated rind of one organic lemon – well scrubbed
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of mixed cake spice
- Optional – 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts
- Place the ground sunflower seeds in a bowl with the baking powder and spices. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the eggs and oil, and beat until well combined.
- Add the lemon rind and juice, and chopped walnuts if using
- Spoon mixture into 10 cake cases
- Place in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 10-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Keep plain or add sugar-free lemon curd topping.
- Cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze.